Tuesday, September 16, 2008

September Check Point

As some of you may remember, September is for short stories and swimming in Superior. I am disappointed to say, my daily dip in Superior has not been happening daily. The school weeks have been busy and it rained for a large portion of last weekend.

Happily, I have been sticking with my short story a night theme. Last week I finished Yiyun Li's collection of short stories, A Thousand Years of Good Prayers. (Click here to be taken to Yiyun Li's homepage.) Her collection of stories was fantastic. Many of her themes revolved around family, and her essays were an interesting glance into Chinese culture. I ordered Li's book on a whim several months ago after reading Granta's list of top young American writers of 2007. Click here for the article. I recommend this collection for anyone interested in Chinese culture and looking to read a few terrific stories.

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Sounds great, Alison! Wow - a short story a night for fun. That's amazing. Let me know what else you read.

Eliz.

Daisy said...

I love reading your blog and learning what you are doing. I am off for a week of fun with my friends at PL> Even 77 year old Omas can still have fun.