Sunday, September 7, 2008

Persepolis


This past weekend I had a wonderful lesson in Iranian history. I have never given much thought to Iran, and always assumed it is similar to other countries in the Middle East: desert like, oil rich, oppressive, crowded with veiled women, and a possible country to go to war with for our current administration. This weekend I learned that A) I don't know much about the different cultures of Middle Eastern countries and B) I know next to nothing about the history of the countries of the Middle East.

A few months ago, I heard about the movie Persepolis and how it was a controversial, animated movie written in French about an Iranian women. Recently, I decided to rent the movie from the Marquette Public Library. The movie was checked out and I had to place a hold. Accidentally, I also placed a hold on the graphic novel, Persepolis, that the movie was based on.

My partner Alan and I spent Saturday devouring the graphic memoir written by Marjane Satrapi. Satrapi's story is amazing and unlike anything I have ever read. Persepolis is the story of Satrapi's childhood during the Islamic Revolution. Born to liberal parents, the young Satrapi is witty, intelligent, and growing up during a war. Her perception of war and life in Iran is unique and insightful, and her story is both heartbreaking and uplifting.

Persepolis the novel was published in 2003 and in 2007 the film adaptation came out. I had the fortunate experience of watching the film this evening. It was an accurate representation of the book and just as moving. The film, which premiered in France where Satrapi lives, was banned in Iran and several other countries.

I highly recommend both the novel and film for anyone interested in learning more about Iranian culture or history. Marjane Satrapi is a brave and honest writer, and I fell thankful to know her story.


Click here to view the trailer for Persepolis on youtube.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

You should write this review on amazon.com or/and Barnes & Nobel. A very well written review! You certainly did not get that talent from me!

Daisy said...

Never too old to learn. I wonder if I had salad days and if I did what did I do during them.

Alison said...

Your never to old to have a salad days!

Alison said...

Your never to old to have a salad days!